Sunday, September 6, 2009

New Job!

Finally I get a chance to sit down in front of the computer! Since I last posted its been a case of no rest for the wicked! I worked at school on Thursday (shifting 8 Manchurian pears - a whole other story!) and then on Friday I started a new job! I have commenced work at a local nursery - not just any nursery but Australia's Best Small Garden Centre as decided by the Nursery and Garden Industry of Australia no less! Its a busy place with a constant stream of people and I'll be working there 2 or 3 days a week. Its great to talk to gardeners 'at the coal face' as it were and see what plants people are going for. The vegetable seedlings were selling well and it was terrific to see a mother and her small son coming in for advice on what vegetables to grow from seed and what to grow from seedlings as they were starting their very first vegetable garden together. Quite a lot of parents came in with their children who delight in exploring the nursery. One mum let her kids choose one small plant each "they can choose one each time we visit" she told me. What a wonderful way to instill a love of plants in children. They may not be so keen as they get older, but one day their memories of going with mum to the nursery will return and the gardening flame may well be reignited!

No comments:

Post a Comment